Thursday 13 August 2009

This gives me encouragment

've spent my entire life being overweight. I've spent it dieting and failing. In January I topped the scales at 410 pounds, and I had resigned myself to always being fat. To always being left out. To always being the butt of jokes. I had resigned myself to the fact that one day my obesity was going to kill me. I was tired of my failures.

Then I found SparkPeople, and I realized an important thing. I wasn't going to find happiness in being thin. And, that the best I could do for myself was to become healthy. In achieving that goal, weight loss would be a side effect. I've lost almost 20 pounds since then. It doesn't seem like a huge number for 8 months, but I started small. I started with one thing. Drinking water. Once it became habit I added another thing. As long as it took, I stuck with it.

Today, the weight is starting to come off faster as I have many new habits. I...
- drink 8-12 glasses of water
-eat 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables
-get at least 8 hours of sleep every night
-eat only lean meats
-exercise everyday
-take vitamins to supplement where my diet fails (I don't like fish)
-get 2-3 servings of calcium everyday
-do not eat junk food, fast food, candy, or soda
-take time everyday to breath and meditate
-eat only whole grains
-quit smoking!!!!

And, guess what. I feel great! I feel better than great. I feel alive. So, I went to the doctor and guess what.... I'm healthier than I've ever been in my life. My cholesterol is great, my blood pressure is normal (which it hasn't been in quite some time), my blood glucose is normal (which means I am NOT diabetic), and my triglycerides are normal.

AND, I FEEL ALIVE!!!!! And, I'm started doing things that I never thought I would ever accomplish. I even climbed a mountain. And if I can do it, so can you. Pay more attention to being healthy than being skinny.

It is from Sparkpeople of course

For some time my goal has been to get healthy. I dont want to have to take drugs for high blood pressure or diabetes. Pharmacists are very bad at taking drugs!! I have added several habbits. Eating what I what when I am hungry, and moving my body. My new habit is going to be eating slowly. I like the idea of ading one habit at a time.


I ahve only done 10 minutes excercise this morning - but my back is a bit tetchy and I have had a lousy nights sleep so I feel zombified. But I will be going for a walk as it is Tony'sbirthday and I want to get hima birthday card so I will walk to the newsagent in a bit.

My knees are still benefitting from all this. OK I was slow coming downstairs this morning but I comign down properly not 'crabwise'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh I left a comment on how inspiring this was yesterday but I must have forgotten to sign it off properly