Saturday 8 August 2009

Excercise goals

I decided on the simple approach today. 30 minutes free step. I know I couldn't do 30 minutes jogging at the moment. And if I did 10 minutes of each (since 20 of each would be too much) I would be left with a 10 minute deficit.

I got to 3357 steps according to the Wiifit - but I know it wasn't counting all my steps. I actually counted (I'm going OCD again!) for a couple of 100's and I reckon it missed on average 25% of my steps. So I did around 4200 steps.

There are so many potential goals I can use to measure success or failure with my excercise.

Do I come close to 10,000 steps a day? Well on a workday I probably dont do too badly. When I do 30 minutes on th Wiifit I will do 4000. The walk too and from the car at work is 1200 at least. How much do I walk at work? I must clock up at least 2500. So I probably do 8000 steps. That could be one reason why I am so tired of course!

How about 30 minutes vigorous excercise 3 times a week? Do I do enough on my routine for it to cout as cardio? Well I get breathless. I checked my pulse immediatley I finished my session today. I reckon I got it up to 100. But I could feel the rate slowing during the 15 seconds I was taking my pulse. 8 beats in the first 5 seconds ended up with 20 beats during the full 15 minutes. A pulse rate that quickly returns to normal is of course a good sign. Maybe I ought to invest in on eof those wrist monitors then I would know. As with the 10,00o steps a day I think I get close ish.

What about Paul's goal of 2500 steps a day well I pass that by miles.

I think I can say with some justification I am probably as fit if not fitter than a lot of women of my age.

What is the point of all this excercise? Well I want to keep fit, reduce my risk of heart disease and diabetes, reduce my risk of osteoporosis, and hopefully lose weight. It should at least ensure I dont gain weight. Also there is my 'use it or lose it' mantra. I dread the thought of ending up as immobile as Mum or Edna. I am NOT trying to become super fit, or athletic, or a marathon runner!

I am now really in the habit of building excercise into my daily routine. I am past the tipping point. I feel pleased

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOL Love the OCD counting comment as I count EVERYTHING! More so when I am stressed