Thursday 20 August 2009

Taking responsibility

Do you accept responsibility for your choices in life?.

Do you feel in control of your life? No matter how negative events or actions may become, you are the only force that is able to determine the reaction. Often we fail to do this and instead blame the world for our feelings of sadness, rejection, and hopelessness. The reality is that your actions are a choice, and you must claim those feelings and choices. We can be our best cheerleader or worst enemy when it comes to determining the health of our emotions. Do some pep talks with yourself each morning. This will help you develop positive, self-affirming thoughts that will enhance your personal development and growth.


Spark people do it again. It was a remark by my counsellor 3 years ago that started me on the road to recovery. 'I see you as a passenger in your own life ' At the time it didnt register but a little while later when I first read CYLI7D and he started talking about taking responsibility it resonated.

So I know I am rresponsible for what I eat and drink, how much I exercise, how much I chose to do for Edna, how I earn money. I think my eureka moment was the realisation that I always have choices. My depression happened becasue I felt trapped . Now even when circumstances push me in one direction - as they have with Edna - I dont feel trapped because I have choices in HOW I do it. or how MUCH I do.

I got up this morning feeling lousy with a niggly back,and little motivation. I didnt intend to come anywhere near the blog because I haven't exercised and I am not sure I will do much beyond some yoga. And I felt guilty.

But that Sparkpeople piece took my right back to my epiphany and reminded me why I blog - and how far I have come. It showed me I dont need to guilty for making a choice I feel is right.My back is clearly telling me I have done too much recently. My general lethargy is a sign I have been doing too much running around with Edna in hospital. I need to slow down a little at the moment.

I felt guilty because I felt I 'should' be sticking to my healthy living regimen. That if I didn't I would in someway be a failure. But the only person calling me a failure would be me. And what good is that going to do me mentally?

My metal health is just as impoetant as my physical health and there is no dount I have been under stress with Edna's situation. I dont think I have recognised quite how much stress. Well I have now and this driver is taking her foot off the accelerator and is happy to cruise for the moment.

3 comments:

Sally said...

PS I did 10 minutes yoga and 5 minutes step plus n the end. I felt comfortable doing it. It shows that exercise is now a habit in my life and that is very positive

Anonymous said...

I was really impressed in your last post that you put your mental health first for that day, it's a shame that society has taught us to feel guilty for things like that.

Anonymous said...

ps: I am not exercising at all at the moment. a walk to the park with Macey yesterday took so much out of me that i was exhausted all day and last night I slept for 11 hours.

I was feeling guilty about it at first but now I just go with the feeling - I need to rest as much as possible and hopefully in a few weeks i will have gained enough energy to start slowly exercising again