Sunday 5 July 2009

A useful life lesson

Awareness through downshifting

Often our first reaction to a stressful situation is to overcompensate and overwork to overcome whatever it is. Sometimes though, the best thing you can do it step away, take a breath, and come back to tackle the problem with a clear head. Replacing important things in your life with work only causes anxiety to build up--not to mention that it takes the joy out of life. Vacation does not have to mean physically leaving your everyday life and jet setting to the beach. Whatever relaxes you, brings more clarity, or calms your mind during times of stress can certainly be enough to rejuvenate! When logic tells you to quicken your pace and pile on the extra work, yet your heart is reminding you of the meaningful time you are neglecting with family, friends, and yourself, it's time to slow down. Often letting off on the gas for a period of time can compose and refocus your mind.

This sparkpeople reflection could almost have been written personally for me the way I feel at the moment. I have a number of stress points at the moment and if I dont deal with them properly I will resort to comfort eating - or should that be even more comfort eating?

I listed the anniversaries I face this month. Add to that Edna (see other blog) also Steve is unwell again.

I didnt do any formal excercise yesterday. Food was OK ish but not brilliant. I seem to have forgotten how to eat really slowly and am unable to leave anything on my plate. And lets not talk about the biscuits. But compared with howe I sued to be I know I managed better

I think the problem is I am eating what is convenient rather than wat I really want, So I had a salad last night. Sauasge roll with lettuce coleslaw, cucumber, beetroot, and mustard pickle. It was nice. It certainly couldnt be construed as 'diet food' but just didnt quite inspire me. And I think that is why I couldnt really savour it and eat slowly.

So I need to think about that.

I also think I need to bet the Wii fit out again (not that it got put away!) I think a workut could be a god stress releiver as well as helping me keep active. I also think I need to face my fears and do a body test. If I am putting on weight I need to know sooner rather than later.

Oh dear I think Paul would despair of me with that atitude? And there was me telling Sharon not to define herslef by the figure on the scales? I think I need to take my own advice.


I also need to think abot the healthy reflection and work out how I can downshift.

On the plus side yesterday I made great steps forward with some isseus in the hosue. The coat hooks, toliet roll holder and towel rail are now up in the downstaors toilet and I have cleared the pile in front of the video shelves. I also got the flooring for the upstairs bathroom and the shower which is going to be fitted next week.

The pace may have slowed a bit but I am still moving forward.

Later

I took the plunge and used the wii fit. My body test was a mxiture of good and bag news. My Wii fit age is down to 39. whihc is -18 years. yay for me. My BMI was up very very slightly and although it said my wieght had increased it couldnt actually actually measure it. So I havent gained or lost. I've set my next goal at 7 lbs in 8 weeks. But as long as its actually a loss in 8 weeks I will be happy. I wont be happy if I've stood still again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a habit of eating foods that are easy to prepare and convenient. It tends to be at higher stressful times too. When I am relaxed and feel better about myself I take the time to make something nice and take the time out because I believe I am worth it