Sunday 26 July 2009

Time

One of Aesop's most famous fables is about an encounter between a grasshopper and some ants. All summer long the ants had been toiling away, saving up grain for the long winter. All the while the grasshopper merrily--yet foolishly--squandered his time without a care in the world, without making any provisions for the cold season to come. When winter came, the grasshopper found himself starving and begged the ants for food. They replied, "If you were foolish enough to sing all the summer, you must dance supper-less to bed in the winter." While leisure time is important for rejuvenating an overworked mind, idleness is just a step away from foolishness. Think about the future that you deeply desire for yourself and your family. Chart and take wise steps towards it. There's nothing wrong with stopping to smell the roses, as long as you keep moving along the path.

The above from spark people was very timely. There is no doubt at the moment lack of time is my main problem. This is why I feel pulled and stressed.In fact even before I read that, the thought going through my mind was which of my activities (even blogging) could be regarded as a waste of time rather than genuine relaxation.

So what are my main priorities? What are my goals?

A happy family life with Tony
Caring for and supporting Edna for whatever life span she has
Supporting Steve as he embarks on an adult life with adult responsibilities
Being useful to other people who may need help from me.

Maybe I need to sit and think who 'I' am? There are certainly aspects of me that my work colleagues and internet friends know nothing about. I would expect certain FB friends to totally ridicule me if I put anything up about the psychic development course I have just booked myself on. I know a lot of my pharmacy friends would think I had gone totally barmy.

I have realised that there are aspects to everyone -even our closest friends and family - that we can never know and understand so I dont think I am unusual in this.

But knowing and loving yourself is the key to real happiness because until you know who you are, you can't make the right choices.

OK Philosophy over (for the blog at least!) One thing that is sure is that I need to be healthy to do everything I want /need to do.

I stil dont have the courage to turn on the Wiifit. Paul;s golden rules seem to have fallen into a black hole. I havent been binging or aything totally stupid like that. But I am still eating too fast and that is what I am going to concentrate on. I am still eating a lot slower than I used to but still too fast.

I feel fat today. My diet yesterday wasn't as healthy as it could have been. But today I am going to teach Tony how to cook rissotto. If he is more confident in how to do things in the kitchen he will be able to cook more .And his options will be extended beyond instant mash and beans with something grilled or spag bol. So he can cook healthily for us and can do more of the cooking for us. Of course that means I will be eating HIS choice of food more - but 'Eat what you want' really means 'Eat normal food not diet food'

I will be walking today because we are going to Worcester to see Glenn and Angie by train so will be walking the mile and a half from the station to the house. So I am not planning on doing any other excercise today. I am still tired from yesterdays gardening.

I feel more confident today about managing the priorities in my life than I have felt for a long time. I am sure part of that is because I have booked that training day.

So I am looking forward to a good Sunday, doing what I want to do, recharging my batteries for the week ahead .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you have not wanted to use the Wii - when you get on the Wii regularly I can actually "hear" your positivity thru your entries. You seem much happier with yourself. Maybe it could be very uplifting for you at the moment?