Tuesday 22 July 2008

Coping with stress

I started this as a means to track my progress on Paul McKenna's weight loss programme because I had already tried , and failed, using the 90 day success journal. But as an inveterate comfort eater, changing my response to stress is a key part of tackling my weight problem. So using this to record stresses , and my response to them, IS part of this. In fact recording the stressful areas may well help me cope with them.

I was very tired yesterday. I didn't mange to stay at work until the end of the day - although luckily it was quiet so I din't need to. I've been given a second ward to do and thats OK but at the moment I feel that is definitely my limit. I did take my 15 minutes out to meditate. It didn't go well but at least I tried. All minor sources of stress. The major source of stress is my mother who not onyl hasn't improved on antibiotics, but has had a fall and banged her head. She isn't eating or drinking. If that doesn't change then she will need a drip and at that point she will have to be admitted to hospital. At least travel by train is practical if she is in Wycombe so the inevitable trip down won't be quite as tiring.Also Edna is still having problems with her breathing and she doesn't want to bother the doctor. However I've laid down the law - or tired to, I may have to rope Steve in on this.

Food went OK yesterday. I realise it has been days since I felt the persistent nervous hunger I recorded in earlier entries. I was given a choclate bar and I ate is slowly, conciously and with great pleasure. I found dinner quite satisfying as well.

I think I'm on top of the food angle but the excesise part isn't going as well. I did walk to work yesterdat but this morning it is out of question. One reason I left work before the end of the day was that I was getting definite twinges in my back I need to pace myself so its back to the car today.

This morning I tried to do some viusalisations but it didn't go well because I am tired and worried. Not exactly surpising. However the fact that I can recognise my reactions to my current situation are natural is an improvment on how I would have felt in earlier times. I do think positively about myself these days. So I think I do cope with stress much better than I did. When I wrote the title of this entry I didn't realise that - which proves how useful this blog is for me.

No comments: