Sunday 3 May 2009

A new way to make money?

I am really tired this morning depsite being in bed and asleep by 10.00 last night and not getting up until 7.00 this morning.

We has a succesful car boot yesterday and cleared 50.00 profit. At a time when I am concerend about my potential for an income from pharmacy to top up my pension, maybe I need to think about other ways of earning money.

Regular car boots would be one thing we could both do - and give Tony some sort of income stream as well - which would please him. I do sometimes worry about his lack of a job. But he is getting a kick out of the tiny amounts he earns on line. As long as we have internetless friends, Tony will continue to buy stuff on line for them - and make a mark up. usually only a couple of pounds a time but it all adds up. And he was well pleased with his 25.00 yesterday.

But realisticaly I would like more than that . But maybe I need to prioritise my wants and needs and decide excatly how importantt the money I can earn is. I do know we can't afford to live on JUST my pension while I have a mortgage, so for the next 7 years I need to earn enough to enable us to live and maybe stash away something to increase my income when I fully retire. Lcoumming would do that and more....much more! But in my grand scheme I did flirt with the idea of finding other ways to earn money.

All this has been stimulated by another reflective piece from spark people

Thinking for yourself in the face of doubt

If you accept someone else's idea of reality and personal limits, you'll have no control over your own destiny. You can only go as far as that view will let you. Do you normally accept things as they are, or do you ask "why" and "what if"? Being an individual and thinking for yourself--even while others are calling you crazy--takes courage. For many, trying a new perspective is scary. But if we always stick to the familiar, the known, we never grow and learn. Don't be afraid to go against the grain. Ask the tough questions that everyone else is afraid to ask. Try a new way to do the same thing just to see what happens. We guarantee you that the world won't end. You'll see solutions that nobody else would see if they're all looking at a problem the same way. Practice new ways to combine unrelated objects. After all, somebody had to try peanut butter and jelly for the first time.



I DO have doubts about whether I did the right thing when I retired, there is no doubt my employment prospects have not emerged as solidly as I thought they would. But this piece did jolt me into s new way of thinking. I have highlighted the relevant sentence. Maybe I am eing too scared to step out of my comfort zone?

One thing I have no doubt sbout is that I could not have continued working full time within the NHS - or anywhere else for that matter.

I believe I am being given this time without work to explore other opportunities. I need to be open to what may come along. So I have no doubts we will be doing more car boot sales!! But if locum work is offered it will be accepted like a shot.

But I may well take some of this spare time and get writing again - outside the blog .

Oh well time to turn on the Wii fit.

No comments: