Thursday 19 March 2009

My back

One of my constant concerns has ben to do enough excercise to strengthen my back, without doing too much so I start a flare up. Last week I was geting the odd twinge or two so I cur back on the jogging. I now know this was the right thing to do.

I have been doing a LOT of physiacla activity over the past 2 or 3 days in the form of gardening (digging lifitng bending) and rubbish removal (bending lefting,swinging lump hammersm using crowbars, throwing things) I have also been doing my Wii workouts -although I conciously decided yesterday and this morning to concentrate on yoga and mucle excercises. I have just finished 16 minutes of yoga/muscle workouts (including my 3 linked sets) and although I ache still from all the work I have been doing, I don't have any twinges of aciatica and only the very slightest touch of back pain. This is almost unbeleivably good and shows I really have managed my back problem the right way. When I think back to the way walking around the hopsital would trigger back pain less than 3 months ago I feel very pleased with myself.

Yetsreday was so warm I decided we would have salad for dinner. I really enjoyed it. Uisng Paul's system I was able to have a small porion of quiche and small portions of the accompanimnets I enjoy so much (coleslaw, potato salad, rice salad) withoyt thinking I should be avoiding them becasue of the calories on the mayo. I also didn't go for the low calorie versions. This morning I am thoroughly enjoying my bowl of sultana bran with some prunes all topped with low fat yoghurt and I don't think I will finish the whole bowl. I have also drunk a large glass water as well as a large mug of coffee. Paul would be proud of me! I am VERY proud of me.

I have an appointment at the incontinece clinic this morning. I will be able to tell them my fluid managment has improved. I am drinking more and my bladder control is better. Sadly I will also have to tell them I had a catastophic accident the other day - quite the worse I have ever had. I know my pelvic floor muscle excercises have fallen off the radar since Edna was re-admitted. I know they will tell me I need to get back to doing them - but no PFM excercises could have stopped the accident I had the other day. My bladder problems do seem to be getting worse. But compared to a cancer scare, potentially disabling back problems, and mental health issues a dodgy bladder is almost nothing at all.

Final note - I was right. I am unable to finish my bowl of cereal.

We rock lol

I have to think about whether I should do some jogging as aerobic excercise. At the moment I feel not. Walking is aerobic, and puts much less strain on my back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope your appt goes ok Sally. I hope I have internet in swden so I can keep reading your entries but if you don't hear from me it means i haven't and I will write when I get back in 10 days

your friends
sharon
-xox-