Thursday 12 March 2009

At the hospital

This is where this blog is very little to do with food and very much about the life the food exists in!!

I had a dreadful time at the hospital today. Edna was in an agressive mood. She knows she is to be started on a new drug that she will have a patch. But when I said I was going to talk to the doctors she said not to and implied that I might say something to them that she didn't want.

But then the OT came along to ask her about her flat , how she normally copes etc etc. Well thats was where the fun really started. I really did stay as quiet as possible but sometimes when she came out with outrageous statemnets about regularly cooking herself kippers and boiled eggs I felt I had to get the OT to realise that she hasn't sone that for a long time. But as the OT questioning wemt on Edna got aggressive with both of us and it culminated with Edna saying the doctors had told her that I wanted to dump her and get rid of her. I decided there was little point in staying and left. I didn't just storm out I did say goodbye to her but I made it plain I was leaving becuase I didn't want to upset her.

The OT decided not to continue the conversation and she had indicated earlier that she was aware I was having problems with Edna. So a few moments later I was sitting with the OT in one of the offices in floods of tears being offerred tea biscuits and sympathy and given a chance to have my say without Edna jumping down my throat.

I had this nightmare vision that the OT was unaware of the diagnosis and would beleive everything Edna said. To my relief she said even if she hadn't been able to talk to me, Edna raised enough warning bells for her to realise a lot of what she was saying was bunkum. I should have realised an elderly care ward would be used to dealing with dementia patients.

I now have confidence that nothing will happen without me being informed and consulted and that the diagnosis means they can't jsut send her back to Fosters with no care package. I beleive we really are at the end of the yo-yo admissions.

All I now have to do is work out how to deal with Edna when she is aggressive. I know the OT is right when she says it isn't really Edna saying all those hurtful things to me - but it IS still Edna on the outside - but sometimes the old Edna is still there.

I feel crap at the moment - a crying jag always leaves me feeling dreadful.I am tired but donlt think I can sleep.But I have told Steve about the diagnosis. I hope I presented it as the positive step it really is even though in a way it is the worst news we could have had.

I need to talk to so many people now to try to make sure this comes out as Edna would want and to work out how much if any of her care I may be needed for

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you feel so down and it ws really hard for you. It is a relief that the OT is very aware of the situation

-xox-