Wednesday 3 June 2009

Mutual support

Reading the comments on this blog are so helpful. Its good to know you have bad days too . Its alos good to know you cant work what really lies behind your weight issues.

I know when my fast eating first started - it was at school.where a crowded canteen meant you only had about 15 minutes to eat. But thats about it as far a self discovery goes.

I also have days when I know I will eat good stuff and some days when I know I wont. But is any food really 'bad stuff'? We get bombarded with healthy eating messages over here in the UK. 5 portions of fruit and veg a day, Reduce your fat and salt intake. Reduce your intake of unrefined sugar. Eat whole grain foods. But the truth is our bodies need a mixture of ALL foods. We NEED salt, we NEED fat, we NEED sugar, like we need protein and carbohydrate. So if you are having a 'bad food day' it could be becasue your body knows you need that food. That isnt a licence to eat chocolate every day of course. But if all you ate was protein (the ultimate good food) you would be just as unhealthy as if you ate nothing but chocolate.

The major rule to avoid breaking is 'stopping before you are full' Eating when you are not hungry is a sure way to put on weight however healthy the food you out in your mouth is.

And that is today 'gospel according to Sally' lol

Food did go better yesterday - but I am still breaking the major rule and snacking when I am not truly hungry. I am not however ever stuffing myself with food the way I used to.

It is good to know I have a friend out there who is going thought the same battles - even though we fight them in very different ways. I will never run a marathon - my back wouldnt cope. I am quite happy with my silly Wii fit workout whihc I can fit into the time I have available.

But then probably Sharon you would never decide you wanted to see if you coudl train your psychic abilities. You may be one of those people who thinks the paranormal is total rubbish. You may mentally cringe when I write about the 'cosmic power' and show my spiritual side.

Running is YOUR route to self discovery - the spiritual is my route, What matters is that we are BOTH trying to discover out true selves - and lose the need for the armour of fat we both carry because we are secretly afraid our true selves are totally naff and unloveable. And mutual support helps - even if it is at a distance like this. Thanks to the internet I know you will still be there for me when you move back to Australia.

I still havent got a satisfactory answer to why I got into all my bad eating habits. But I am still trying hard to break them. I do know time is a huge factor - mainly lack of time. I always seem to be in a rush . I am also a carer (some would say a busybody lol) tryig to make sure everyone else is happy leaving little time to cater for MY needs. I learnt from CYLI7D that my biggest fear is that I am selfish. I wonder if I spend so much time caring for other needs that that food was the quickest way to care for mine becasue I didnt want to appear selfish and self centered by taking time for me?

Hmm - something to think about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sally that was a very interesting post!

I am looking forward to hearing what you think of the other Paul McKenna tracks