Tuesday 20 October 2009

Day 24

The Wisdom of Listening

One common trait to nearly every good leader is the art of listening. Many times, the best leaders can be among the quietest in the room. They know their time is well spent in hearing new perspectives, ideas, and thoughts. It's how they grow personally and build visions. The wisest leaders know that hearing themselves talk is no way to build trust and goodwill. You can do the same thing. When a friend needs to talk, resist the urge to give advice right away and just listen. Ask questions, and really try to understand the answer. When a customer calls, don't say a word about your product until you fully know their needs. When your spouse is hurting, it's not the time to prove that you were right. Over time, you can develop that leader-like sense of when to open your mouth and when to keep it clamped firmly shut.


I think I am a good listener. But I am putting this reflection in anyway. Maybe I am being too mystical is believing these reflections are sometimes a direct message to me. But then again maybe not. I beleive this one is an affirmation that I am a good listener, a pointer to the fact that my listening and intuition are skills I am going to need in the future, and a warning not to be complacent about my listening skills.

Yetsreday went OK but I was SO tired when I got home from work. Dinner was 2 ready meals. We didnt cancel the game - but I was glad when it ended before 10. Robert was almost as tired as me.

Food went OK. I was back at work so had no time to snack. I didnt eat dinner as slowly as I should - but to be honest I didnt cook the dinner properly so it wasnt as nice it should have been. I drank plenty of water as well.

Vee (another locum at RHH) was one of the few people who knew why I had been absent and he commented I must have had a rough time becasue I had lost weight. I dont see it myself but I am cheered that someone else thinks I have lost weight.

I got up when the alarm went off (always a god sign) and I have used the wii fit this morning. I did 2 x step plus and 8 minuyes of boxing. I have decided I can do some free step tonight. I feel good that I have got back to some cardio - and my score was reasonable too. Only 17 points off avoiding the sneering 'I know you can do better than that' comment.

I have drunk water and coffee this morning. I am hungry so my next move will be breakfast when I can decide what I want.

I am acutely aware that I am over a quarter of the way through the 90 days and wondering how I am doing. When my Wii fit plus arrives I will no doubt have to do a body test to set it up. I am not going to worry about it until then. In the meantime I will do my best to stick to Paul's rules.

Rachel rang us last night and we have properly swapped addresses phone numbers and e-mail addresses. I have a good feeling about this new friendship. I am sure Edna would be delighted about it.

No comments: