Saturday 7 November 2009

Time to relax and think

Are you paying attention to how your time is spent?

Days don't get shorter. Our attention spans do. How can summer be over in a blink while it seems like the weekend will never get here? Because we're not paying attention. Five days out of seven, we're waiting for something else to happen in the future, and we don't take advantage of the day that we hold in our pocket. Have you ever had someone ask what you did last week--or even yesterday--and had trouble coming up with an answer? You probably wouldn't have had any problem at all if your time were spent on something meaningful for you. Don't wait for tomorrow! Ignore the calendar and work with one day at a time. Fill that one day with stuff you'll pay attention to, the stuff that memories are made of. A little bit of focus will help you get rid of that hectic blur.


Its strange but this week at work has got me thinking about whether I really want to stay at RHH. It isn't patient facing enough for me. It doesn't give me the opportunity to teach others which is the other satisfying thing. It has been a hectic blur this week. The above reflection (if you haven't found them yet they are at Sparkpeople .com) has the feel of confirmation that I dont have to put up with the way things are - whihc I always knew. But more importantly it may be telling me I shouldn't be putting up with it and that maybe a change is needed.

It is Saturday morning and I am IN BED with the laptop. I am planning a day of doing NOTHING really except what I find enjoyable or chose to do.

LUXURY.

Doing a beyond choc tune in Physically I am tired but no major aches and pains. Emotionally I am calm despite the sad news of Rachel's miscarriage yesterday. Thought or question is How can I enjoy myself today?

Food yesterday went well. The amount I walked at work meant I can say exercise ALSO went well.

I have found myself thinking this morning about why I am so fixated about the number on the scales. I read a piece the other day entitled 'why the scales lie' I know from my brief experiment with daily body tests that body weight isn't a fixed number. The piece I read followed Paul's thinking about how your clothes feel are your rings lose, how do you think you look. I used to llok at myself in a full length mirror and see a dumpy Queen Victoria type of image. Now I see an iamge that is NOT dumpy . It is still not as thin as I would like but it is acceptable. I actually look at other people and think they may be bigger than me!!

I think you DO need to step on the scales once every month or so - but I think other assessments are better than the scales. I hate the way I look in the changing room mirrors when I go clothes clothes shopping . I somehow look 10 times worse than standing in front of the bathroom mirror after my shower. I am not too keen on that reflection either - and that is what keeps me motivated to lose weight - plus my desire to be healthier than fitter. So I dont need the scales ....but I do still care about what they say .

I seem to be in a strange mood this morning. It must be the efect of all this time and nothing to do. Normal service will be resumed tomorrow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was doing okay getting rid of my need to use the scales weekly and accept my growing pregnant body, then last Thursday I had an appointment and was weighed in. The Dr spent 15 minutes talking about my weight, how I was too heavy, he printed out a diet sheet and told me that my BMI is 33 and I have already gained half a kilo in 18 weeks of pregnancy. I didn't think that was much but he did, he suggested I weigh in every week, exercise for an hour every day and make sure I do not gain any more weight for remaining 22 weeks.
I was looking forward to giving up some of weight hang ups when pregnant but I don't see that happening now

sorry to hijack your post Sally - I didn't want to write it all on facebook