Wednesday 11 November 2009

Sometimes the message is too loud to ignore

How do you keep everything in perspective?

Is there anything that Ziggy doesn't know? In the cartooning universe, he's often placed in hopeless situations, pitted against a world that doesn't make sense. He's an agreeable punch line for the quirks of human nature. Yet he's able to brush off his mishaps and focus on the opportunities that today brings. He can also look to the future with hope, knowing full well that more struggles may lie ahead. Most of all, he can look at himself and have a good chuckle. Do you make yourself anxious about things that might happen or stew over mistakes you've made? Don't let a preoccupation with tomorrow or yesterday rob your ability to face that crazy world with a smile. For Ziggy, today is today. It's not a good day; it's not a bad day. It's a day. And he knows that it's important to give that day the value it deserves.

Yesterday was a dreadful day at work. I left angry and upset feeling undervalued by my fellow pharmacists - well the junior ones practising their management abilities at least. I found myself wondering even harder if RHH was the right place for me. I found myself considering using my pendant to try and get an answer. In fact I WAS going to use the pendant this morning. But first I decided asking now before the holiday would be foolish. I don't need to know. then I decided using the pendant at all would be frivolous. And then I saw the above piece from Sparkpeople. I realised I had got the situation out of perspective - and more importantly I am wondering if today will give me an opportunity to show my doubtless well meaning -but managerially inept - colleagues in training what I am worth. I may even be able to teach them something. I have confidence I will get through today - which I didn't have earlier.

Amazingly yesterdays angst didnt cause a splurge of comfort eating - but I did indulge in some snacking.

Lunch felt rushed - but I have realised I do eat my lunch much slower than I used to. I was too tired to cook last night so Tony heated up some ravioli. So dinner was quite small as he did one tin between us instead of a tin each- and eaten quite slowly. I did have some biscuits and some cheese and crackers. I also had some more crisps - which I really didnt enjoy. It is a large sharing bag of sweet potato crips. I have decided the throw the rest away as neither of us like them.

I stopped to fill up with petrol on the way home. To my pleasure I had no real desire to buy a chocolate bar to munch on the rest of the drive. Once the chocolate bar would have been an automatic purchase with the petrol. Despite all the angst the chocolate bar in the frisge remained untouched - with no effort. When I think about things like that I realise how far I have come in developing healthy eating habits

This morning initially I couldn't face exercise but then realised what I couldn't face was the new exercises. It was my mind not my body that was having a problem. So I went totally simple and did 20 minutes free stepping. Nto a record breaking effort - but at least I did it.

This morning I have drunk lots of water, a large mug of coffee (with sugar) and have a large glass of apple juice. I am eating my breakfast slowly - and considering what to make for my lunch today. At the moment I don't have a clue.I may go mad and buy something from the cafe as don't have any dinner leftovers I could take in. Whatever I have I suspect it will not be healthy - but it will be what I really want!

No comments: