Thursday 12 February 2009

Managing my new life

Well to be honest I can't manage it yet because I don;t know what its going to look like. But I do need to have some idea about how I would lkie things to turn out.

An absolute maximum of 27 hours a week working. That is an odd number but it fits a moel of working 3 days a week for Lloyds. I deally I'd lie to be doing half days - which the hospital is most likely to provide..... but Lloyds can o Saturday half days and possibly Sunday half days as well - and a releif manager who was willing to do both would be a bonus for them. Saturday and Sunday morning would be 8 hours, 2 full days in the week would be another 18 and leave me 3 whole days in the week to fit Edna in without totally destroying my family life.

I need to decide how much time it is reasonable to spend with Edna. I want to set a norm of 2 visits a week...... say Wednesday and one day over the weekend. To be honets if she needs me more than that she really does need to be in resiential care home where everythig is done for her......but I understand why she is resiting that. And to be fair, I saw how quickly Mum deteriorated mentally once she no longer had to keep track of everything. And since I have realised I need to 'use it or lose it' in the area of excercise I can't argue with her when she insists she wants to do things. I just don;t think she is doing the RIGHT things. I'd rather she concentrated on leaving her room more often , maybe even going out with me somewhere. But she wants to do her own laundry and her own meals. Then she exasperates me by apparently not being able to make a cup of tea when I go over. But I do have to bear in mind that she is manipulator par excellence. I also have to remember it is HER life an dlet her manage it.

So twice a week is the goal, and I will accept 3 rimes a week,Monday,Thursday an Sunday - hopefully on days when I am not working a full day. Lloyds normal hours are 9 - 6 and fitting in a visit on tose days would be tricky dependig on where they have put me. Kings Heath would be a doddle, other branches would be tricky,challenging, or downright impossible in some cases. Edna lives 6 miles east of me, a branch 6 miles WEST of me would need me to travel 24 miles to fit in a visit to her - 18 miles of it after work.

I wish Emily woud let me know if she wants to use me and if so what hours. 5 half days at the hospital would be incredibly helpful in giving flexibility to see Edna when needed.............

OK I haven't made any concrete plans but it is obvious wherever I am working I will be able to mange things in a reasonable way. I have a goal and an idea how I am goingto reach it.

No comments: