Wednesday 31 March 2010

The value of jogging

Why am I trying to jog? All my guru says is 'move your body' and suggests 2500 steps a day (about a 20 minute walk) is the difference in the average of daily steps between thin people and overweight people.

Well I dont want to be the last one limping home on June 17th thats for sure. And that means I need to jog some of it.

Jogging also bumps up the calorie burn. According to my trusty wii fit walking uses 3 times as many calories as sitting while jogging uses up 5 times as many.

Jogging is also aerobic and good for your heart. (If Jack Sh*t reads this thats why 'burney lung' actually IS good for you lol)

Jogging is also quicker then walking if you simply want to get form A to B

To beat the 'obesity time bomb' the Department of Health recommends 30 minutes exercise on 5 days a week although there are rumours that this is being to increased to an hour.I have been aiming to do 30 minutes a day on the Wii. I have been increasing the amount of jogging partly to burn up the calories and partly to give myself a fighting chance in June.

I think the cardiac benefits of jogging make it more important than the calorie burning benefits in the long run. Being thin doesn't automatically mean you are fit. Heart attacks kill thin people too.

I think for me the personal value of jogging is that it increases my chances of staying off medication. And that is what will probably keep me jogging long after the Race for Life

1 comment:

Di said...

Jogging is excellent UNLESS you have joint problems. If that is the case, it does a lot more harm than good. Sadly I am one who has this , and walking is just as affective. Last night on The Biggest Loser they had a man who lost over 400 pounds on his own at home with walking as his only exercise. I think the bottom line is we have to move- no matter how we choose in order to get our own bottom lines to move to a smaller direction !