Thursday 4 March 2010

Spiritual and mental well being

I know some people will wince at the word 'spiritual' but I can assure you I do not wander around wearing scarves and beads nor do I sit cross legged and saying 'Ommm' But I do take time to meditate and my firm belief , based on my personal experience, is that when I do I get a much better picture of what my subconscious mind is telling me and that can give me some surprising insights.

My mental health was restored with a vengeance over 3 years ago when I was first introduced to guided meditations and visualizations. I know that I could not have begun to tackle my weight and health issues until I had dealt with my depression. So for me spiritual and mental health and irrevocably linked together, and linked to the success or failure of my health goals.

Yesterday I meditated for the first time in some days. And yesterday we had a very good day on our enforced 'staycation' And last night I ate mindfully for the first time in several days. As a result I realised I wasn't enjoying the potatoes that were part of my dinner - so I left them - and thoroughly enjoyed the rest.

I also did much better with exercise than I have done in some time - and in fact did another 20 minutes in the evening on top of the 30 minutes I blogged about yesterday.

OK I can't prove it is cause and effect. Psychology is a funny thing - which is why I am doing a course in it to try and understand more. But to me it FEELS lie cause and effect.

The blogosphere is all about sharing experiences as well as getting support. The comments (and the sponsorship!) from yesterday are very welcome - although I dont think I will run the whole 5K - but I do intend to jog as much as I can. So if someone reading this is prompted to try meditation to see if it works for them that will be wonderful - and here is a link to a site that maybe helpful

http://www.learningmeditation.com/

No comments: