Wednesday 30 November 2011

Cystitis decided to attack me yesterday. It went wrong almost from the ward go. I put trousers on and quickly realised I was in pain. So reverted to a skirt and tights. The tights came off when I reached the hospital. Luckily it is well heated because it was cold yesterday - and no weather to be wandering outside with bare legs. By 3 it had got to the stage where I was uncomfortable sitting down. At 3.45 I gave up and went home - barelegged walking across the park. So no meal out for me yesterday. A bath worked wonders. This morning I have slight IBS discomfort, very very slight cystitis discomfort and I know I will be fine to go to the hospice. I don't think it is co-incidence that both have flared up at the same time. I am even wondering if there is some more esoteric reason why I have these issues at the moment. I am mentally 'holding on to' something I really need to get rid of?? Anyway I did one imaginary phone call at work in the toilets yesterday, And I have done one this morning as part of my spiritual exercises. There is a good practical reason to practice taking a call like that. I want to sound confident and professional - not give the impression I am falling down with excitement. If I have practiced taking it it will be automatic. OK so where I am with health and fitness? Apart from the above I am OK. Food went OK yesterday - but I have realised I am not drinking enough water. I have managed to slip out of the habit. It won;t be a problem today. I drink a cup of water per patient. That should be 4 today. I am finding work at the Orthopaedic more and more frustrating. The lack of system and process is annoying me more and more. Funnily enough its partly because management won't let pharmacists do their job properly because they will cave in if consultants won't stick to the rules. I do miss the kind of clinical involvement that saw me as part of the team discussing things with the consultant - and having my opinion respected and acknowledged. I do recognise that was also highly patient related if not directly patient facing. I am really looking forward to today at the hospice. I wonder if I will have any new referrals? So what am I setting as my food and drink goals for the day? Well water water and more water for starters. ............................................. My next statement was going to be 'eat when I am hungry' which made me realise I was. So I am having breakfast. Porridge with sharon fruit and honey - and a mug of water on the side. To be honest porridge wasn't my first thought - but then I realised we had 2 more sharon fruit - which I had intended to cancel - in my fruit and beg box. Since I remembered one serving suggestion was mushed up in porridge I thought I'd give it ago. They have to be eaten - and Tony won't try them again.He really disliked them! Its not making my taste buds dance with delight - but its pleasant, Eating what I really want is always a problem when I have to rely on someone else's menu options. Luckily the hospice has good food choices. The hospital much less so. I know I will enjoy my lunch when I have it today. I know one thing I need to try and put into practice a lot more - leaving something on my plate. My big food problem is I am eating when I am NOT hungry. And that is the most important thing I need to tackle.

No comments: