Monday 26 April 2010

What are blogs for?

All of us in the blogosphere blog for a variety of reasons. Some blog so other people can follow what is going on in their life. Others are driven by the need to record specific events in their life - like coping with disease.

I started this blog when my life was totally chaotic partly as an outlet to help me cope, but mainly as a replacement for the 90 day weight loss journal that is part of the Paul McKenna programme.

That was 22 months ago.

In those 22 months I have changed my job, and now find myself without work. My Mum died, Edna needed increasing support as her dementia worsened and then she died.I have sorted out 2 estates -one with a will one without. I have become a reiki practitioner.

I have even lost some weight - albeit only about 7 lbs

Exercise is now a regular part of my life - even if I end up walking the whole of the Race for Life.

I would not have achieved all that without this blog. Originally I intended to keep this blog private but decided to put a link on a Paul McKenna FB page. That got me my first follower (Hi Sharon!) and through that I found all the other bloggers. Reading their blogs - and getting supportive comments on mine - has made a world of difference.

Although I may not have achieved much in the way of weight loss there is one other thing I haven't done during this 22 months - got depressed and needed medication. As I didn't blog during the previous 10 years the scale of this achievement cannot be seen in its proper perspective. But believe me - its huge.

I have re-read parts of my blog today - and it has been illuminating to compare myself now with myself on 30th June 2008 when I made my first entry. At a time when I feel stuck and a bit despondent I can actually see how far I have come. Even if the plans I had 22 months ago didn't all work out. We certainly didn't go into the house rental business.

I can see how far I have come -and that gives me the impetus to keep going even though at the moment I feel stuck.

No comments: