Wednesday 16 March 2011

Life after surgery

Its the first time since my operation I have felt energetic enough to blog. I guess that must be a good sign. Also on re-reading my last entries I see I didnt record the fiasco about my booking at the Orthopedic hospital which means I don't have an easy prospect for work when I am recovered from surgery.

The title of my blog feels very appropriate at the moment because things ARE changing a lot at the moment.

My operation went well but I was in hospital for 5 days in the end. My calcium levels dropped and I needed 3 infusions to get them back up. This is a known side effect of having your thyroid out - but my parathyroid hormone levels have also dropped. This could be because my parathyroid gland has been either partially or totally removed along with my thyroid. If its only partially removed my extra problems are only temporary. If its totally gone then as well as Thyroxine I will be on Alfacalcidol and Calcium supplements for life too. I will be on Sandocal and Alfacalcidol for at least 6 months - and I am already fed up of a very embarrassing side effect of the Sandocal - flatulence. The smelly sort I still dont know if I will need radio iodine. I will find out on April 18th.

So my new life is one filled with medication

My owrk situation is very unclear. The hospital had to let me go after HCL made it plain they wabted a finders fee of 20,000 if I worked there through another agency within 6 months (reduced to one month later) Emmeline wants me to join their bankbut I haven't felt up to tackling the paperwork - including another CRB check. I also need to find find proff of my final salary so I can be employed at top of 8a scale. Otherwise I will be on 7 - and it wont be worthwhile. But Spire have given me a selection of dates already so I will have some work. Plus I can go back to the Orthopedic with my other agency.

My CRB check has come through for the hospice so I can finally get that sorted out and become a proper reiki practitioner actually giving reiki. Plus Karl and Shaz are running a weekend ghost fest in Alcester in September and we have already been approached by them to help out - so we may well get a chance to actually do some PAID work.

I have very little energy at the moment so exercise is out of the question. And I am worried about what all this is doing to my weight and general health. I am also acutely aware that replacing a missing gland (or 2) with synthetic analogues isn't going to be as efficient as natural hormones. I have no idea what it will do to my metabolism and how my whole body works. I could be in for a trying time as I get used to how my body and metabolism works. But I am convinced that sticking to Paul's golden rules is the best way to avoid disaster. All I have to do is stick to them - which I know isn't always as easy to do as to say.

One of the bloggers I follow had a rant the other day about the ELMM nightmare. How 'eat less and move more' isn't necessarily the answer. ELMM is sort of the core of Paul's plan. But moving more isn't one of the 4 main rules. Its an extra. I guess the problem is that eating less means you feel deprived. Paul's rules should mean you eat what your body needs without feeling deprived. I don't feel I am one the bloggers 'New me fresh start' is ranting at ......I hope.

I am wondering about trying 10 minutes on the wii fit today. I should be able to manage it - but the interesting thing is how I will feel afterwards. Watch this space.........

1 comment:

NewMe said...

OMG, no! I'm not ranting at you! And I'm very glad your operation's gone well.

I am a big believer in physical activity. It calms the mind and has proven physical health benefits. It's just not guaranteed to help you lose weight. It's that old causation/correlation thing.

I also think Paul's golden rules are fantastic, though not as easy to follow as he would have you believe.

Be well!

NewMe