Tuesday 18 January 2011

Reality check

I got a HUGE reality check yesterday in two ways. The second was the moment I realised I was definitely having surgery no matter what the outcome of the biopsy. Knowing academically you may be facing surgery is one thing. Knowing you WILL be having surgery is a very different thing and I have to work out my feelings

But the first reality check came when I got weighed - and I had to get weighed twice. 94 Kg. That is 10 kKg higher than I used to be and its ALL happened during the past few months. Part of me wants to run round like a headless chicken and panic - but that wont achieve anything. The other part of me is acknowledging that I HVE to do something. For what ever reason my weight is now out of control. While part of it could be due to thyroid issues, part of it is almost certainly due to lack of activity once I stopped training for the 5K run and then had less work. But part of it is due to poor eating habits.

I need to remember and do my best to stick to Paul;s rules especially the eating slowly one. I also need to gradually build up my activity again. But I am not going to suddenly start doing 30 minutes aerobics every day. Working is a very good form of excercise for whihc I get paid. The extra's I can add in as I feel better.

But I think the memory of the feeling I had when they told me my weight will prove a useful motivator

No comments: