Wednesday 13 October 2010

Being accountable

I have a blogger friend who has recently found herself in a very bad place and is feeling very down. She re-started her blog the other day so that she will be accountable to any readers. But she commented she didn't even know if she cared if anyone was reading. Blogging forces you to think about what you are doing, and why. Reading it reminds you where you have been and where you are going. If you don't get to where you wanted you then have to work out why. Having it all down in black and white (or whatever colour scheme you have chosen) does male it more real, more official.

I guess I can relate to my friends situation and reason for blogging. I feel as if I am in a rut not making progress with the things that I think are important. Blogging reminds me what I am trying to do and why. I have to account to myself - not always a comfortable process - even if no-one else is reading.

One of the hardest things to accept is that if you want something in your life to change YOU have to take action. Being accountable for your life means accepting that you have responsibility for it. No-one else made me fat. I put the food in my mouth. OK I can list psychological issues that made me take refuge in food but I was the one who comfort ate.

As I write this I am watching the rescue of 33 chilean miners who have been trapped underground for nearly 10 weeks. Their situation puts my gripes into perspective. So being accountable for your actions isn't the only important thing. IMO we are also accountable for the choices we make and our priorities. Is it really worth getting stressed out because the house isn't as tidy as you would like? Is there REALLY no time in the schedule to meditate, go for a walk, or do something important for your mental and spiritual health?

I am accountable for these choices in my life. Blogging helps me keep things in perspective

No comments: