Thursday 9 December 2010

Next move

I had my ultrasound scan on Monday afternoon. Yesterday (Wednesday ) I got a phone call from my GP asking me to make an appointment to go in and see her. This is obviously so she can tell me officially that I am being referred to the thyroid clinic for a biopsy. I do find it significant that she a) wants to discuss it with me in person and b) felt it needed phone contact rather than waiting for a letter to reach me. It implies a level fr urgency.

I have sinced done a little more research about thyroid nodules and have found out they are very common. At age 50 50% of the popluation will have them, By age 60 that rises to 60%. So I would be unusual if I didn't have any nodules at my age. But they can be a problem in 3 ways. They may produce thyroid hormone. If large they may press on other structures an cause problems. And in 5% of people they may be malignant.

So almost exactly 2 years after my episode of post menopausal bleeding sent my rushing off to the GP I am back in a similar position of being rushed through 'in case its cancer'

I always cite that thankfully short lived scare as the start of our two thousand and hate problems. I think the similarities between the two episodes are really getting to me. Part of me thinks this could be the full stop - ending the bad times in the way it began. Part of me wonders if I can be lucky again.

If it is malignant it is very very curable (not just treatable) and I am not going to be facing anything horrendous. But not knowing is getting to me and I really hope they give me an early date. All thsi could well interfere with my course, and of course keep me off work for a bit.

I have a huge feeling of unfairness about all this. Just as things were going well THIS has to happen.

Part of me knows I am really overreacting to this. The other part of me just wants to curl up and scream

No comments: